You walk into the kitchen or bathroom and it seems smelly, so you check the fridge, take out the trash, and spray air freshener. However, nothing improves, there’s still a foul and unidentified odor in your kitchen or bathroom. Have you ever thought to peek down your kitchen or bathroom sink?
What Causes a Stinky Drain?
Your kitchen or bathroom sink are notorious for developing unpleasant smells. Did you know it can collect bits of debris that linger and produce a fouler-than-foul scent? So it’s important to give your kitchen or bathroom sink a clean-out every week. The common causes of stinky drains include sewer gases, plumbing errors, gunk and bacteria, and clogged vent pipes. For example, hair, food, and other gunk can live in your pipes, which attract bacteria and release foul odors.
Cleaning a Stinky Drain
How to clean a stinky drain? You need several supplies to clean a stink drain including a hose, bucket, ladder, wrench, baking soda, rubber gloves, and near-boiling water or white vinegar. There are also several ways to eliminate a foul and unidentified odor in your kitchen or bathroom.
Here is how to clean a stinky drain:
Clean the P-trap
1. Put on your rubber gloves.
2.Remove the curved portion of the plumbing beneath the sink with a wrench.
3. Empty water and gunk from the P-trap into a bucket.
4. Take the P-trap outside and rinse it out.
Clean the drain vent
1. Grab your ladder.
2. Climb up the ladder and clear away any debris clogging the drain vent.
Pour boiling water or vinegar down the drain
1. Run hot water for a couple of seconds and then turn the water off.
2. Pour one cup of baking soda down the drain and then pour two cups of hot vinegar.
3. Wait an hour and then flush the drain with hot water.
Pour baking soda and vinegar down the drain
1. Boil a pot of water or vinegar and pour half of it slowly down the drain.
2. Wait a couple of minutes and then rinse the pipe with cold water.
3. Pour the rest of the water or vinegar down the drain.
We are a locally owned and operated plumbing company, providing residential and commercial owner plumbing services. We specialize in Drain Repair, Drain Cleaning, Basement Waterproofing, Sump Pump Installation, Clogged Toilets and more. Our team at Draintony is dedicated to providing you premier plumbing quality and premier plumbing services.