Wet Basement

Why Mold, Mildew, Fungus and Mushrooms Are Growing in Wet Basement?

Mushrooms that are growing in your wet basement are a serious problem and one that must be solved right away. Moreover, mushrooms or also called fungi are a form of mold which can quickly take over the basement if allowed. Fungi and mold eat the wood on which they live. And if they are left untreated, as a result, mold could spread across the room and begin to sprout mushrooms.

The most common cause of mold growth in your basement is excessive moisture and dampness. Therefore, moisture will cause wood and other particles to decay, making the ideal environment for mold and mushrooms.

Mold will grow on basically any type of surface counting dirt, wood, concrete and even paper.

Furthermore, because mold and fungi can take root on any surface, the first thing to be well inspected is the area between the leak and the mushroom growth; to ensure that there isn’t any kind of structural damage to the home.

Above all, when you notice that mushrooms are growing in your wet basement, or anyplace else in your home, it is recommended you instantly find and then fix the source of the moisture problem; then finally dispose the mold properly.

In addition, when you recognize the source of the moisture, you also have to correct any mechanical or structural problem. Doing this first is vital to solving the problem for good.

In many cases, you may have a leaky pipe, which is causing the mold and fungi to form and grow. Major infestation may need professional guidance. Fungi growth can many times be found far away from the source of moisture.  It’s not unusual to see mushrooms growing in the basement that derive their moisture from a rooftop leak. In this situation, first the leak must be fixed and secondly the roof must be treated also in order to successfully kill the root of the infestation.

If you never had water damage or a leaky pipe in the basement, you may have too much humidity in the air; and that the moisture is maintaining the surfaces moist enough for the mold to grow.

Mold is characterized as a furry, rotten-smelling growth that comes in various colors; ranging from brown and black to energetic shades of pink, green and yellow. Mold spores can be found nearly everywhere.

Health Effects of Mushrooms, Fungus and Mold  

Wet Basement

Just like the fungus they emerge from, both mold and mushrooms are toxic and harmful to humans and animals.

So, one of the leading health issues that they could cause is respiratory problems, ranging from a simple cough, wheezing, tightness in the chest, shortness of breath, or asthma-related symptoms. Even if you are not suffering from asthma, you may also develop it if mushrooms and mold start to grow in your wet basement.

People, who live in houses where mold thrives, may notice or even develop allergic reactions. These symptoms come in typical warning signs, such as itching and rashes. So when exposed to fungus you may not get ill straight away.

Symptoms may appear weeks even months after the exposure, and they include:
  • Sharp chest pain
  • Prolonged cough (lasting weeks or months)
  • Sputum production
  • Severe headache
  • Breath shortness
  • Stiff neck
  • Sinusitis
  • Muscle soreness
  • Excessive sensitivity to light
  • Eye irritation
  • Double or blurred vision
  • Confusion
  • Fever
  • Dizziness
  • Night sweats
  • Weight loss
  • Seizures
  • Nausea
  • Rashes
  • Apathy

How to Get Rid of Mushrooms, Fungus and Mold

Prevent flooding and moisture first to ensure that mold will not spread. First step is inspecting plumbing pipes and flood areas for early warning signs. Look for leaks in roofs, walls and floors. If you have standing water or condensation, this must be cleaned up too. Finding a small issue before it can become a big one can ensure you that you will not have a mold outbreak in near future.

However, the longer the mold gets warm and humid conditions; the more property it can take over. And more spores it will release into your home.

You can try to clean up any visible mold by scrubbing it with water and detergent. And use a dehumidifier to prevent it from coming back. Certainly, clean the dehumidifier on a regular basis and also follow the manufacturer’s clean-up instructions. It’s necessary to wear safety glasses and protective gloves while dealing with mold cleanup.

Also, you have to replace carpets, upholstered furniture and drywall, that become moldy.

Furthermore, inappropriately vented clothes dryers can in time increase the humidity in the room and lead to mold growth. And clothes dryers have to be vented to the outdoors.

In short, if you are not capable to dry out a flooded home in a couple of days, seek help from a professional.

However, do it by yourself mold removal is always placing you at risk of spreading the contamination. In other words, most people do not hold the equipment or know how to remove toxic mold effectively and safely. Above all, don’t let the mold and the mushrooms grow in your wet basement for a long period of time. So contact a qualified expert to explore all removal strategies and also; help you pick the one that is best for you.

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Google

Leave A Comment

Call Now Button